🎓 Academic experience
I took my B.Sc. in Computer Engineering at Roma Tre University in 2009, and a M.Sc. in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in Sapienza two years later. After working one year as a software/web developer, I obtained my PhD in Sapienza in 2016, researching mainly in the fields of distributed machine learning and adaptive audio processing.
I am now a tenure-track assistant professor (Ricercatore a Tempo Determinato di tipo B) at Sapienza, where I was previously an assistant professor and a post-doctoral fellow. During my studies, I visited Tohoku University in Sendai for a summer school in Robotics, and La Trobe University in Melbourne as a visiting PhD student.
You can read my full bio on this short CV.
🔬 Current research activities
- Associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (IEEE), Neural Networks (Elsevier), Industrial Artificial Intelligence (Springer), Cognitive Computation (Springer).
- Review Editor for AI for Human Learning and Behavior Change, specialty section of Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence.
- Industry Liaison Chair for the 33rd IEEE International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing (MLSP 2023).
- Coordinator, Industry Liaison Program, Master Degree in Data Science (Sapienza).
- Member of the IEEE Neural Networks Technical Committee (NNTC), the IEEE CIS Social Media Sub-Committee, and the IEEE Smart World Technical Committee (SWTC).
- Member of the IEEE Task Force on Learning on Graphs, and the IEEE Task Force on Reservoir Computing.
- Member of the “Machine learning in geodesy” joint study group of the International Association of Geodesy.
- Member of the ELLIS Society.
- Member (former chair, 2020-2021) of the Statistical Pattern Recognition Techniques TC of the International Association for Pattern Recognition.
🖥️ Other memberships and activities
- Google Developer Expert for Machine Learning.
- Co-organizer of the Rome Machine Learning & Data Science Meetup.
🗄️ Past activities (memberships)
- Member of the IEEE CIS Conference Activities and Communications Subcommittee Activities.
- Co-founder of the Italian Association for Machine Learning.
- Program committee for Codemotion Rome and Milan.
🗄️ Past activities (editorships)
- Associate editor for Big Data Analytics (BMC Springer).
- Guest editor for the special issue on Trends in Reservoir Computing, published on Cognitive Computation.
- Guest editor for the special issue on Advances in Biologically Inspired Reservoir Computing, published on Cognitive Computation.
- Guest editor of the special issue on New Developments on Randomized Algorithms for Neural Networks published on Information Sciences.
🗄️ Past activities (conferences)
- Tutorial and Workshop Chair for 2022 Artificial Intelligence and Informatics (AII 2022).
- Social Media Chair for 2022 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence.
- Co-organizer of a special session on Tiny Machine Learning at IEEE WCCI 2022.
- SPR Program Chair of the S+SSPR 2022 Workshop.
- Co-organizer of the 1st Workshop on Dynamic Neural Networks at ICML 2022.
- Social media chair of the 2018 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil), the 2020 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (Glasgow, UK).
- Co-organizer of the 1st International Workshop on Reservoir Computing (ICANN 2019), 2nd International Workshop on Reservoir Computing (ICANN 2020).
- Co-organizer of the special sessions on “Frontiers in Reservoir Computing” (ESANN 2020), “Distributed Learning Algorithms for Neural Networks” (IJCNN 2016), “Advances in Reservoir Computing” (IJCNN 2018).
- Publicity chair for the “18th International Conference on Engineering Applications of Neural Networks” (Athens, Greece), the “2017 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks” (Anchorage, Alaska), the “2019 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks” (Budapest, July 2019), the “1st INNS Conference on Big Data” (San Francisco, US), the “2nd INNS Conference on Big Data” (Thessaloniki, Greece), the “3rd INNS Conference on Big Data and Deep Learning” (Bali, Indonesia), the “4th INNS Conference on Big Data and Deep Learning” (Genoa, Italy), the “14th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations” (Rhodes, Greece).
- Tutorial on “Deep Randomized Neural Networks” for the 4th INNS Conference on Big Data and Deep Learning (Genoa, Italy), together with Claudio Gallicchio (University of Pisa).